Well, we have been offered a 39 (or 38+6)week induction. My OB has offered this because we are an hour out of town and because my labours go so fast (this being our third it could go too fast.) The last thing we need is to have our baby on the side of the road with the moose and porcupines helping. Especially because 'A' and 'S' both had to be monitored after they were born. 'S' needed oxygen and they both needed antibiotics for inhaled meconium. At 39 weeks baby is grown and fully ready. (50% of all babies are born between 39 and 41 weeks; 85% between 37 and 42 weeks; and only 4% on their due date.) All signs from my prenatal exams point to no problems for baby. Baby would be 8 days early on Tuesday...'S' was 6 days early...and she was 8lbs12ounces at birth. I don't grow small babies!
The only hesitation I have is that I was induced with 'A' and it was a very hard and fast labour...one contraction for 4 hours. Sometimes 5 or 10 seconds between contractions...sometimes no time between. Hard on me and on baby. But my ob said labour was harder then because I was delivering my first baby and also because they used a cervidil tab instead of the oxytocin drip via iv which can be better controlled. But if it means that I need to have a harder labour for a healthier baby and more timely delivery (ie not on the road) I am willing!
Anyway, we are calling Labour/Delivery at the hospital on Tuesday morning at 7am to find out if our ob has time that day for my induction. I think we are going to accept the induction because it will be safer for baby to have paediatricians right there and an ob for me. All the specialists we desperately wanted and needed for 'S's delivery. My parents arrive on Sunday later in the afternoon so as long as baby doesn't come before then the girls will be with people they know and love. And as long as baby doesn't come before Tuesday we will be at the hospital to deliver...not the car.
Saturday, June 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment